Friday 2 August 2013

On Cecil Baldwin, kickass female characters and the Theory of Everything

 

So I’ve been hired again, this time by my own campus, where I’ll be playing lab instructor, so far the job is quite boring, this being the second day and the schedules not yet set, its still a bit weird working under the lecturers and counselors that I originally knew as a student, but I feel like I might be able to acclimatize, judging from previous experiences, I think that is what will definitely happen.

So I spend my ‘free’ time, sitting at the desk with my laptop infront of me, trying to finish up my final project, setting up and listing the practical testing procedures and of course blogging. I started this blog as a way to cool off and let go of the tension that accumulates and just blurb it out to the rest of the interwebs, therefore I find myself back on track. I also found myself rereading Stephen Hawking’s Theory of Everything (I mean the book, so don’t pull the ‘Einstein did it’ card on me). While I didn’t pursue Physics more than my advanced levels, I do have a passion for the subject, specifically Nuclear Fission, fusion and the mysteries of Astrophysics and cosmology. It might sound like a headful of smartypants, but I do genuinely understand and follow these topics for shits and giggles.

Getting back on track, I tend to write things down on this book, whether it is agreements, disagreements, jokes, vague and not so vague sci-fi references, insults to various physicists and so on, this isnt even a text book, or something I would normally buy for myself (I’m hoarding to buy some Sanderson and Butcher), I got this for christmas from my brother, he didn’t even know I was a closet physics nerd. Anyways here are some pictures:

Snapshot_20130802

Yeah, not exactly excellent quality, if it was, you could see the Doctor Who comment

Snapshot_20130802_1

Yes, I do jeer the russians on this page, tsk tsk Lifshitz and Khalatnikov, I love you but No, seriously NO

Coming away from Theories and all that, I want to point everyone in the direction of an absolutely excellent podcast [genre, plain fun and entertainment], its called ‘Welcome to Nightvale’ this is basically a radio show of the local radio station from a small town called nightvale in the America, run by the Radio DJ, He of the smooth voice, Cecil Baldwin, the stories he talk about involve the mayor, the town council, the thing that is the station manager, the various hooded figures, the dog park (which we aren't supposed to know about), the sheriff's secret police, the army from the the annals of the bowling alley (lane5) and of course Carlos, beautiful, honey voiced, smooth skinned, (Cecil’s supercrush) Carlos.

c.baldwinCarlos

My Night vale fanart :3

This series is undeniable fun to listen to and makes anyone quirk their lips up in humor. Try it out.

mza_7966065047979721144.600x600-75

Also Gentlemeioa’s, yes I did say that, probably because I am reading Jean Johnson’s ‘Theirs not to reason why’, its an excellent series, I’m on book number 3, if you are into Military Sci-fi, Telekinetic abilities and a kick ass no-nonsense female main character, you should definitely check this out.

cover

That Ia, the main characater, no middle name, no last name, Just Ia

I’m also a massive fan of Ilona Andrews and the most recent book Magic rising was also excellent, once again awesome female character, this time urban fantasy , paranormal, sword fighting, etc.

11544421

Yeesh this lab is cold, I’m freezing and the only thing that is keeping my hand from going all shivery is my typing  -_- ,  I have a shit load of work to complete, and movies to watch, Pacific Rim, R.I.P.D., Man of steel, wolverine, Despicable Me 2, but all after September, and also it helps that I;ve a bunch of friends who agreed to have a massive hang out after this.  We found this fancy tea lounge that we want to hit up, and I want to sneak onto some isso wadey. With the Colombo book fair coming up, this holiday after my studies are gonna be heaven.

I was hoping for a day sleeping in tomorrow (saturday) since I have classes on in the afternoon, but I realized that I have very little office wear, all those t-shirts and Jeans and sneakers, not really responsible of me to wear them here, so shopping in the morning (atleast I’m getting shoes) . So Imma leave you loverlies with this bit.

Adios

M

No comments:

Post a Comment