Sunday 28 June 2015

Itches #3 : Religion (Part One)

 

//could lean too much towards Christianity, but its not about A religion, more like the concept of it.//

Religion, do we need it? or do we want it?

Do you believe in an omnipotent being(s) that looks over you and or guides you in every moment of your life?

This is what I call the choosing.

Choose

Some of us are born into religion, others find it, then there are ones who understand it, though not necessarily in the same ways.

Personally I dislike the ‘born into religion’ choice, sure my parents were of mixed religions, so you might argue that I didn’t have a strong religious up-bringing. Okay, so I might not have gone to sunday school every single day, sure my church attendance would not get any notice, so I might not have church friends and have BFF deep talks with my pastor (FYI I don’t have one), but that never stopped me from trying to understand my religion.

It does not mean I did not read the book, it does not mean I do not appreciate HIM, but neither do I think that he owes me anything.

Let me tell you what I have seen. Sure there may be those who genuinely praise their Gods, they may read their holy books, pray at the right times, pray in the right places, associate with the right people. But most of these people get lost, they get lost in their religion and forget what it means.

You pray in the right places, with the right people, you sing hymns with the right people, but are you praying for the right reasons. You read the good book out loud, you do grand gestures to help people, but do you understand those words, or the people who you are helping.

I think I found him when I was in the darkest of places, sure I don’t talk about it, its because what I have with the big man, its between me and him. He gave me this life, I’m not going to disappoint him, sure it is hard sometimes, makes me want to give up, but there is no reason to blame him. Your God is not in the sky, neither is he below, he is what we carry in our heart of hearts, in the deeds we do, in the lives we live, and in what we give back.

So people may question me why I never seem to make time for God, why I never seem to go to church, never seem to look like I am a child of God. So I say, what is between me and the big man and me, are between the big man and me. I can only work as hard as I can and try to be good for him and try not to disappoint him or my mother to badly.

Sure I have some really bad times, sure I question myself, question my choices, but would there be a reason for questioning him, no, he did give us free will, our choices, our will, maybe he might give us guidance, but it is still up to us for understanding it.

What brought this on?

Understanding

So much of the evil in the world, was started, is starting, by people, not by God or Gods, it is not caused by religion, it is started by people who think they are carrying out some instruction from a book.The book is a guideline, its not a step-by-step instruction. and like any piece of literature it can be interpreted in many ways.

A while back there was a debate between a science and creationism. I myself, at that point, must admit did not fully grasp at what I had commented against creationism, I think what my main comment was that ‘No one hate on Mr Darwin’.

Humans have tried for ages to explain Science with God or God with Science. Which I think is a silly argument, but it is also so human that I cannot help but love the reason behind it, we are intrinsically a curious breed.

I would prefer to think Science is a way to pave the way to understand God, to understand the beauty of a supernova through a telescope, to wonder at the intricate make up of the human nervous system so unlike anyone else, to study the effect of eating ice cream too fast.

Using God to explain science might seem like an ugly argument in the making.

The book of Luke being my favourite of the many books in the bible, right next to Genesis and Revelations, what is more beautiful that the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, and the story of a child who grew up to change the world one hand, one smile and miracle at a time.

To the skeptics and the atheists, he might even have not been the child of god, but more than one person got together to write books about one man, doing good deeds, one man who help people, a human like you or I, with his friends, his family, armed with words, a beating heart, and a burning need to tell people that things should not be this way.

But honestly it isn't ugly, we are all a collection of atoms and molecules, we are a magnificent mixture of things that wouldn’t have to or need to come together in this particular order but it did. Hoe did we come together, I am this collection of particular atoms, if I had different atoms would my thought be different would I not like Tea as much, would I be a boy or would I not be human at all, I would like to say this is the point where I laugh maniacally.

God does not play dice with the universe, not normal dice anyway, he has a pair of infinite sided dices with a  never ending scorecard, he is the ultimate DM in the MMORPG of existence,  if you lean towards a poly-theistic belief, the more the merrier.

Lover, War, Science, Technology, Belief, it all comes down to people, our minds are such beautiful and terrible places, we create, we destroy, we believe and sometimes we try to understand.

 

……to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment